Experience 2-5 Years
Description and Responsibilities
The Academy of Enlightened Minds team is expanding! We are seeking an experienced, highly committed, and passionate Montessori Elementary Guide to join our school. We are looking for someone with a love for learning, growth, and a desire to be part of something truly unique and special. We are a licensed private school in the Roncesvalles neighbourhood that goes beyond a typical school. We not only focus on cognitive, social, and emotional development, skill building, and creating independence, but something beyond that that is much more unique & special. We help facilitate self-esteem, self-compassion, and a growth/bulletproof mindset, as well as going deeper by instilling empowering beliefs in the children to set them up for a lifetime of success in all facets of their life. We are creating something powerful, different, innovative, and truly unique.
Our school philosophy is based on advanced psychology and neuroscience that is applied in the children’s environment. We believe in the continuous flow of communication between guide, child, and parents. We believe that everyone needs to evolve in their learning, understanding, and their development.
As an educator at our school, you will be provided extensive professional development and training, and will be supported as you learn to effectively apply these skills while working with students. As we are a young school, there is also opportunity for a guide to get in on the ground floor with interest in being a part of a team and potentially a larger leadership role in the future, creating a paradigm shift in education.
We are looking for a guide with a passion for empowering children, a love for learning and having fun. We’re looking for a guide with emotional intelligence, empathy, and patience. A guide that is able to adapt to the children’s learning needs, new environments, and new research. A guide that can think on her feet and has the ability to constantly evolve and come up with creative solutions.
If you are a guide that has a drive for continuous self-development as a priority in your life, are open-minded, wants to work in a beautifully renovated facility, and you want to collaborate with a like-minded team to be part of building something beautiful, then this role is for you.
Our children’s mental health is critical at such a vulnerable age, and at this time in history. We believe it is crucial to make sure the children are building a positive/growth mindset and resiliency in this unprecedented time. An environment that doesn’t breed fear, but love, joy, and critical thinking. An environment where it’s encouraged for children to interact without being encumbered by distance restrictions or covering up those beautiful, happy faces.
Ideal candidate must hold an AMI/MACTE accredited Montessori Diploma and have 2 years experience in a Montessori classroom environment or school environment. Bachelor of Education is an asset. Must be First Aid/CPR trained with an up-to-date certification. Must possess a Vulnerable Sector Reference Check. Food Handler trained an asset.
- MACTE/AMI Accredited Montessori Diploma
- Bachelor of Education an asset
- Excellent collaborative skills and an open mindset is essential
- Lots of positive energy, loves to have fun, and brings joy into everything
- First Aid/CPR trained
- Vulnerable Sector Reference Check and clean criminal record
- Food Handler Trained an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office System
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills, which will be used to communicate with
- management, employees, parents/guardians, community agencies, general public and children
- Must have excellent organization skills and time management and possess strong attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills, ability to work independently and a positive professional attitude
- Problem solving skills and critical thinking abilities
- Have a passion for health and wellness and the great outdoors
- Excellent organizational and planning skills are essential
- Must have strong communication, and management abilities
- Protect, honour, and respect the well-being of the children
- A drive to develop professionally and personally with continuous education
- More details will take place during the interview
- Guide, support and manage a classroom of children of varying elementary ages up to Grade 6, needs and abilities by implementing an exceptional Montessori program
- To plan, implement and document a Montessori curriculum for Lower and/or Upper Elementary aged children in a respectful, loving, and caring environment.
- Supervise and ensure the safety and well-being of the children at all times, including outdoor programming.
- Enhancing and ensuring a positive, friendly, and loving school environment.
- Plan and conduct presentations/projects according to child’s age, interest, and skill level both individually and in small groups.
- Able to implement additional philosophy into curriculum
- Create and maintain student progress records and complete a report for all students three times a year (mid-winter, pre- March Break and end of June).
- Conduct daily observations of classroom and children.
- Know and follow all school policies.
- Help in early stages of school development; materials, classroom supplies and furniture lists
- Build, maintain and repair (when needed) the classroom’s physical environment, keeping materials and objects clean, functional, attractive and well stocked. Identify and recommend when new materials need to be purchased in advance.
- Overseeing and ensuring classroom supplies and materials are adequately stocked and a level of excellence is maintained.
- Support, manage and possibly train teaching assistant(s), offer constructive feedback when necessary.
- Collaborate and conduct Parent Education Nights with fellow guides and head of school.
- Participate in school’s hiring processes as appropriate and necessary.
- Developing, maintaining and nurturing compassionate, supportive, relationships with parents, families, children, staff and other parties (Ministry of Education, Toronto City Council) in an open-minded manner.
- Open communication with administration to seek solutions and work collaboratively with the team.
Attend staff meetings, professional development days and school events as required.
Provide annual self-evaluation forms and review.
Successful candidate will be required to provide:
Copies of certificates of the aforementioned qualifications
A clear vulnerable sector screening
Standard First Aid/CPR certification, or proof of enrolment in course